Saturday, November 19, 2011

I'm beginning to get somewhat

more politically involved around school through organizations like Occupy Dallas and Occupy Denton. those lead to other small meet-ups. I went to this little meeting discussing Student Debt and man, it was truly informal. There's only about 15 people there, all students. It was a very refreshing experience to hear what so many intelligent students had to say. They know exactly what they're talking about and they were just bleeding with passion. Literally, the children of tomorrow. It was equivalently depressing to hear the sad, unfortunate fact of the matter. All the talk about "The System" and in practicality, there is one. We, as students, have all odds against us.

I can't even begin to try and summarize everything that was said, but I was jotting down little notes. interesting facts. and I'll share those.

Tuitions quadrupled in the last 15 years (before the recession)

50% of people don't get jobs after they graduate

85% of people move back in with their Parents after they graduate

There are 4 applicants for every job

50% of black youth are unemployed

Within the next year or so, students in grad school will have to take out Unsubsidized Loans rather than subsidized. Basically, you have to start paying back those loans immediately, not after you graduate again. Basically basically, that means you'll probably need a full time job while you're a full time student.

The average student loan debt for a 4-year public school university is $24 to 31,000

The london riots, if you'll remember, were provoked by rising tuition costs around $24,000 annually. Those motherfuckers started burning down buildings. America's now at $28,000 but we're completely content because most of us are oblivious to it.

This one girl, super smart had a couple of physical disabilities that may require her to proceed in school differently. She mentioned that thus far in school, she owes $75,000 in student loan depts.


I mean those are just the little scribbles I wrote down.. there's so much more to it. I encourage everybody to look into it.


I hope to go to more meeting joints.

3 comments:

  1. I used to work at Financial Aid in college. Subsidized & Unsubsidized actually have to do with interest. While in school the Govt. pays for the interest on Sub loans but you'll have to pay for interest that accrues while in school for unsubs. Where they get you though is you can get more money through unsubs. Grads have for a while been getting mainly unsub and can get a lot of $. I'm not sure how it is now but I doubt much has changed for the better. There's some tricky ish out there so pay attention. It's easy to get caught up though smh I know.

    Oh and the girl with disability...was she in school before having it? I did 2 years before my accident. I took a year off before returning. They made it to where I only owe back what I borrowed since my injury. If her situation is similar she should look into it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Not certain about the girl, but what I'm saying is they're changing that policy this year or next and you'll have to almost immediately start paying it back

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow...that's insane. No more 6mth grace period? Crazy.

    ReplyDelete