Thursday, December 29, 2011

Caution: Post on Religion

I remember... It was the summer before my senior year. My friend and I were having a conversation and it briefly but completely branched off on religion. And she was explaining to me how her boyfriend had put this and that in her head and it was beginning to make her question her faith/religion. I was still counted for as a christian at the time, and I remember feeling scared for her... like yo, you're christian too, snap out of it. Then she directed the questions to me such as---"Do you believe in God? why are you a christian?" My answer was yes and I scrambled together whatever supportive answer I could. She wasn't pushing me to look at things one way or another, but from that day forward, I have progressively removed myself further and further away from it all. It's all the same, how much you're influenced comes straight from how you parents or guardians raised you. Just like political views. People don't think as much for themselves as they think they do.

Besides the fact that the whole bible story (from what I've heard) seems pretty far-fetched.. I guess one of my main problems is with how religion is practiced. I just feel like people depend on, or use religion as too much of an excuse. My favorite example-which can be heavily exaggerated and still make perfect sense--perhaps someone studies for a test. gets a good grade on it. praises the Lord for the A they received. Yo, you did that. Jesus/God gets all the credentials when something goes really good or really wrong. I also don't believe in fate/destiny/everything happens for a reason. I believe you have to be a little bit more proactive to get things you want in life, and even when you do that, it's not guaranteed. Also, I don't believe God would hate anybody for loving someone else too immensely.

It actually surprises me how many people are religious.. but do not be mistaken, I don't frown upon it whatsoever. Believing in anything so passionately, be it obscene, is beautiful ..in almost an artistic kind of way.

whatever. just make these decisions on your own, eh... I hope I haven't influenced anybody

4 comments:

  1. Not to come of as condescending but Personally I am tired of these 2nd grade atheist and Christians and/or religious person. That like to call themselves one or the other without actually having any input to the answers or questions that it brings. Today people rarely do any research before joining any of those beliefs.

    Not to coerce you back into religion. I personally believe that having faith in the fact that there is no faith and/or religion is a form of religion itself.

    But if i was to say anything I would say dont let anyone else's actions influence your own. If you couldn't answer the question of why are you a christian then chance are you were never a christian to begin with. The same goes with ALOT of people who go around calling themselves christian but don't really act like it.

    I put alot of thought behind being a christian and made an informed decision on what to belief, Alls i can say is not just to look for the disproof. If anyone wanted to stop being a christian it would be be as easy as talking to any atheist. But if you wanted to get a answer to any other question you would never simply ask one side and take there story of how things happen.

    I would recommend looking up some christian philosophers like Ravi Zacharius, looking for answers to questions you have rather than assume there is no answer and just sitting down and looking in yourself for the answer. If after that you still dont have any reasonable doubt to wether or not you belief there is no god then you can proudly call yourself an atheist.


    Apart from that i would personally like to know what kind of research you have done in coming to your decision to not be a christian/religious. Have you talked or listened to any Christians other than your everyday pastor? Have you talk or listened to any atheist other than you everyday teenager. Belief is something that is ultimately believed to be very important in the scope of life but is also something that very few people put time behind understanding.

    ^ took me 15 minutes to right that...chances are you wont read it and if you don't you probably wont like it. x__x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well. I knew this post would stir commentary. Here's the thing. I'm agnostic ..which I hear is the bitch-way of calling yourself an atheist, but the difference lies that I'm not saying there is a God; I'm not saying there isn't.

    I'll admit that I was silently influenced, but I wasn't peer pressured into thinking the way I do now. I haven't done any research prior because truthfully, I don't care to. Came real close to taking a course on religion though. Anyway, I've told people this before, and I'll say it again.. I'm ignorant to the situation -I can admit that. Ignorant meaning to be without knowledge. I'll also say for 17 years, I went to church-whatever knowledge that does give me.

    At this time in my life, I'm not asking to be saved nor any kind of insight with the motives to change my mind. I'm not saying you're doing that.

    Call it what you want, fine by me. I don't see things as black and white as most people. I respect people's choices in faith.. most of the time.

    thanks for taking the time to comment. I'm sure that took longer than 15.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The point wasnt to inspire a religious turn around. It was to influence a will to make an informed decision.

    An agnostic is basically someone who says I will believe when i have proof but until then i plead the 5th. Which is fine and everything but like you said its the bitch way out of answering a hard question.

    I am not saying it is wrong to be atheist. I am christian and have plenty of atheist friends, i may not agree with there decision but i respect it and believe they have the right to chose whatever they want. Eitherway i just wanted to say that whichever decision you make is all good but pleading the 5th is doing nothing but delaying the inevitable.

    And for future notice those 17years dont count what so ever. This may sound harsh but going to church doesn't make you a christian anymore than sitting in a garage makes you a car. There is alot of insight and studying to be done. Find an atheist and hear there points on why your religious is wrong, and find the counters to what they say. I personally believe the best way to build faith is the challenge it, listen to religious philosophers like ravi and others, read the bible in depth (i still haven't read it before)etc... Regardless as you said before you don't care much for even debating with yourself on what you are and would prefer avoiding it for now which is perfectly fine.

    it took 15 cuz i had to re-write it...

    ReplyDelete
  4. 1. I like plead to 5th.
    Secondly, I like you're analogy in paragraph four.

    I like the whole idea of building faith by challenging it, but I luckily need not worry about that.

    ReplyDelete